- 2 tablespoons Thai chili paste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- The Rest
- 275 g Japanese eggplant, (about 1 large or 2 small), sliced on a bias about 0.5-inch thick, then halve each round
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 Red Thai chilies, to taste (Take the seeds out to reduce spiciness)
- 200 g ground chicken, (or sub ground pork or crumbled firm tofu)
- 1 cup Thai basil leaves
- Have a little water on the ready while you cook
After tons of requests, here’s an eggplant stir-fry recipe! The sauce is flavoured with Thai chili paste and scented with lots of Thai basil. I also show you my new favourite eggplant technique for stir-frying that’ll come in handy in any eggplant stir-fry recipe! The eggplant in this recipe becomes so juicy and succulent, and absorbs all that wonderful sauce. Change up the chicken and try adding pork or crumbled firm tofu instead.
A must-try for any eggplant lovers in your life!!
1. Combine all sauce ingredients together and whisk until combined and the chili paste is dissolved.
2. Pound chilies and garlic in a mortar and pestle until there are no more big chunks (but not a fine paste). You can also chop them.
3. In a large, flat skillet, add just enough oil to coat the bottom, then heat until quite hot but not smoking. Add the eggplant in one layer (you may need to do this in batches) and let sear over medium high heat, undisturbed, until the bottom side is browned. Flip and cook the other side until it is browned as well. The pieces from the bottom of the eggplant will cook faster, so you will need to remove those first. Transfer into a bowl and set aside.
4. In a wok, add a little bit of oil and the pounded garlic and chili mixture. Saute for about 1 minute over medium heat just until the garlic starts to brown. Add ground chicken and cook until 80% done, adding a splash of water to loosen the chicken as needed. Add the eggplant and the sauce, then keep tossing for about 2-3 minutes until the eggplant is fully cooked but not mushy. Add the basil, turn off the heat, then toss for 30 more seconds using the residual heat to wilt the basil.
5. Serve with rice. Enjoy!
Eggplant W/ Basil & Chili Paste Stir-Fry. To import, drag image to your MacGourmet recipe box.