- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 large handful sliced mushrooms
- 1 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- 28 oz. crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup water or broth
- 6 large eggs
- crumbled feta cheese, to taste
- fresh parsley, to taste
1. Place heavy skillet over medium-high heat, and add olive oil. Add the onion mushrooms, and salt, and cook for about 10 minutes, until the onions & mushrooms start to turn golden, and have given off all their liquid.
2. Stir in peppers and cook for another five minutes until they start to soften. Then add spices and cook for another minute or two, to suffuse the ingredients with the spices.
3. Add crushed tomatoes and water, then simmer at medium heat for 15-20 minutes, until the sauce has thickened up.
4. Make six depressions in the sauce with the back of the spoon, one in the center and five around the edge. Pour each egg into the depression, and nudge the sauce up to the eggs, to contain them in each well. Season with salt & pepper. Cover and continue to simmer until eggs are cooked to taste - this can take another 15 minutes. The eggs will continue to cook in the sauce, so maybe stop a little before they’re done.
5. Once done, cut heat and sprinkle with parsley (or cilantro) and feta, and drizzle a little olive oil over the top. Serve directly from the pan, or spoon each egg and sauce into individual bowls.
Serve with toasted bread.